Part of the: ‘Biobased Chemicals Showcase’ (organised in cooperation with BioVale)
Converting discarded plant biomass into a variety of valuable biochemicals, biopolymers and biofuels
Dr Neil HindleCTO - Nova Pangaea Technologies
Time & Location
Thursday: 11.00 to 12.20, Stage 4
About this presentation / session:
Introduction to Nova Pangaea Technologies and REFNOVA®: An introduction to proprietary thermochemical fractionation process of lignocellulosic material to biochemicals, biofuels, biopolymers and biocarbons. The proprietary, patented process offers a continuous route to carbohydrates that can be used for fermentation without the need for enzyme catalysts in the process or fermentation. As well as the carbohydrate stream, NOVASUGARTM the process produces a low ash biochar, NOVACHARTM. NOVACHARTM can be used directly as a soil enhancer, its porous structure improves water retention thus reducing fertilizer run off. Being stable for thousands of years, biochar is considered a sequestrate for carbon dioxide. Another application of NOVACHARTM is as a sustainable replacement for coke in the steel industry. Nova Pangaea has shown the upgrading of the NOVACHARTM to activated carbon with a surface area in the region of 1000m2/g. Overall REFNOVA® is a ready to scale process for the conversion of low value biomass residues to high value sustainable biochemicals.
Biobased Chemicals Showcase – organised in cooperation with BioVale
Session Host: Anna Zhenova, CEO of Green Rose Chemistry
In this session BioVale and Green Rose Chemistry are showcasing some of the UK’s leading green and bio-based chemicals sector SME and start-up companies.
This ‘flash-talk’ session will introduce a diverse and innovative range of products, processes and services that offer greener and more sustainable alternatives for the industry.
Format of session: Introduction by Green Rose Chemistry (5mins) followed by 5 minute ‘flash talks’ from 10 further innovators:
Featured companies/innovations include:
- Sustainable chemistry intelligence to help innovative companies develop truly green products and processes for a renewable, circular bioeconomy (Green Rose Chemistry)
- Biodegradable, sustainable solutions for separating one entity from another (Starbons)
- Raw materials – redesigning basic oil properties for better performance of the finished lubricants (Nuspec Oil)
- Acetone-Butanol-Ethanol ABE fermentation as a global sustainable industry enabling large scale sustainable production of bio-based solvents (Celtic Renewables)
- Converting discarded plant biomass into a variety of valuable biochemicals, biopolymers and biofuels (Nova Pangaea Technologies)
- Innovative biomass fractionation process using low-cost, environmentally friendly solvents, namely liquid salts or ionic liquids (Lixea)
- Developing novel approaches to the extraction of active molecules from plant sources for existing and novel applications (Keracol)
- Fiberight – the waste refinery (Fiberight)
- Commercialising biosurfactants for use in environmentally friendly home and personal care products (Holiferm)
- Biobased adhesive as an alternative to formaldehyde urea resin for wood panel industry (Cambond)
- Clean and green separation of low-value wood chips and plant matter into high-value biochemicals (Bio-Sep)
Neil has over 20 years’ experience in the chemical industry with ICI plc, Croda International, Centre for Process Innovation (CPI) and Applied Graphene Materials. Neil joined ICI in 1995 following completion of my DPhil, in sugar synthesis, and BA at the University of Oxford. He is also a Chartered Chemist and Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry. Having held several roles both in the UK and overseas, Neil’s primary focus has been the scale-up of the production processes from laboratory to commercial production as well as process improvements on existing production assets. Currently Neil is the CTO and also leads on Overseas Development and HSE at Nova Pangaea Technologies.