nautilUS a bathyscaphic inspection robot
Michael BurrowsSenior Innovation Advisor - RS Components Limited
Time & Location
Wednesday: 15.00 to 15.20, Stage 4
About this presentation
Joint presenters for this feature presentation:
- Matthew Beatty, Global Advanced Robotic Applications Manager – Sonomatic Limited
- Michael Burrows, Senior Innovation Advisor, RS Components Limited
- Angelos Plastropoulos, Engineering Manager – Innvotek LTD
Following a successful Innovate UK government funded bid, Project nautilUS resulted in the development of an automated inspection robot to operate in hazardous human environments. Now, the project has been awarded additional funds to focus on the exploration and “real” world application. This has led to the formation of a exploitation consortia consisting of original project members RS Components Limited, Sonomatic and Innvotek.
- RS Components Limited is one of 9 operating brands from Electrocomponents plc, a global omni-channel solutions partner for industrial customers and suppliers who are involved in designing, building, or maintaining industrial equipment and facilities. Offering customers unrivalled choice of product technologies, solving problems with innovative solutions, and delivering a world-class customer experience, makes them the ideal lead for this project. RS Components Limited brings an unrivalled experience and capability in offering a global network of exploitation and dissemination of innovative products, which allows a global reach across multiple industry sectors.
- Innvotek specialises in automation of inspection, maintenance and digitisation of critical infrastructure in extreme and demanding environments. The company develops customised solutions based on our customer requirements in offshore energy, shipping, construction and transport sectors.
- Sonomatic is a worldwide organisation whose expertise in ultrasonic inspection design, development and application, dates back more than 30 years to their roots in the nuclear sector. Today the company has widened its focus and provides proven yet pioneering services to customers in defence and power generation.
This presentation will take you through the project and desired outcomes.
Michael was formally Managing Director of Monition from 2002 -2019. With over 35 years’ experience at the forefront of Reliability and Asset Management development, Michael has steered Monition to become a leading independent Condition Monitoring, Plant Reliability & Process Improvement Company, Pre acquisition by Electrocomponents in February 2019..
Michael has worked in industry for over 35 years, principally as an Electrical Engineer in the development and implementation of computerised delivery systems for British Coal. He gained a depth of expertise in Change & Process Management whilst employed as a Specialist for Emerson in the US and MENA.
Working extensively alongside clients in the Steel and Automotive industry – special projects have included an extended secondment to the Ford Motor Company to develop and implement Fords Manufacturing Quality Standard. Michael also assisted in the implementation of change management processes at British Steel and has also worked closely with Proctor & Gamble, GM and DuPont.
Michael has worked in partnership with GSK to develop and deliver Energy Loss Surveys which are actively identifying opportunities to reduce CO2 emissions and provide Energy Cost Savings at GSK sites worldwide.
Michael is a member of the new UK government advisory group called Robotics and Artificial Intelligence (RAI), taking the lead in development of Industry 4.0 solutions for maintenance and reliability service sector. He is currently the Principle Investigator and Project Leader for two large UK government funded research projects.Michael is also a researcher at the School of Mechanical, Civil and Aerospace Engineering at the University of Manchester UK (globally ranked 29 in current QS) developing an Internet of Things (IoT) solution specifically for promotion of Failure Reporting Analysis and Corrective Action Systems (FRACAS).
Michael will be speaking on the nautilUS project and the role of RS in this and further projects in this realm.
We will present some case studies of inservice and online water and crude oil tank floor inspections.