Part of the: ‘Biobased Chemicals Showcase’ (organised in cooperation with BioVale)
Biodegradable, sustainable solutions for separating one entity from another
Susan BrenchCEO - Starbons Ltd
Time & Location
Thursday: 11.00 to 12.20, Stage 4
About this presentation / session:
Do you need to isolate Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients from complex mixtures?
In organic and aqueous systems, Starbon® materials will capture and significantly enrich multifunctional compounds. Do you have waste streams containing precious metals or need to capture gases? Starbon® products can increase the adsorption of certain gases by more than 150% compared to the industry standards. Starbons Ltd works with customers to design the best solution to meet their needs.
In this presentation Starbons will explain their offer through a case study approach to demonstrate why, if you need a biodegradable, sustainable solution for separating one entity from another, you should talk to talk to them.
Biobased Chemicals Showcase – organised in cooperation with BioVale
Session Host: Anna Zhenova, CEO of Green Rose Chemistry
In this session BioVale and Green Rose Chemistry are showcasing some of the UK’s leading green and bio-based chemicals sector SME and start-up companies.
This ‘flash-talk’ session will introduce a diverse and innovative range of products, processes and services that offer greener and more sustainable alternatives for the industry.
Format of session: Introduction by Green Rose Chemistry (5mins) followed by 5 minute ‘flash talks’ from 10 further innovators:
Featured companies/innovations include:
- Sustainable chemistry intelligence to help innovative companies develop truly green products and processes for a renewable, circular bioeconomy (Green Rose Chemistry)
- Biodegradable, sustainable solutions for separating one entity from another (Starbons)
- Raw materials – redesigning basic oil properties for better performance of the finished lubricants (Nuspec Oil)
- Acetone-Butanol-Ethanol ABE fermentation as a global sustainable industry enabling large scale sustainable production of bio-based solvents (Celtic Renewables)
- Converting discarded plant biomass into a variety of valuable biochemicals, biopolymers and biofuels (Nova Pangaea Technologies)
- Innovative biomass fractionation process using low-cost, environmentally friendly solvents, namely liquid salts or ionic liquids (Lixea)
- Developing novel approaches to the extraction of active molecules from plant sources for existing and novel applications (Keracol)
- Fiberight – the waste refinery (Fiberight)
- Commercialising biosurfactants for use in environmentally friendly home and personal care products (Holiferm)
- Biobased adhesive as an alternative to formaldehyde urea resin for wood panel industry (Cambond)
- Clean and green separation of low-value wood chips and plant matter into high-value biochemicals (Bio-Sep)
Since 2018 Susan has successfully established a portfolio of interests building on the foundations of over 30 years’ experience in industrial strategic commercial management, stakeholder engagement, marketing and international business development. Working with clients across the globe including Europe, the USA, and Japan her expertise is derived primarily from working in the chemical manufacturing sector. She also has experience of working for 2 major financial institutions.
A Physical Natural Sciences – Chemical Engineering graduate from the University of Cambridge, Susan enjoys finding solutions to complex issues; being able to see the macro and the micro, the bigger picture and the detail.
She truly and passionately believes in the importance of science & engineering, industry & manufacturing for building a more sustainable society. Mentoring of start up businesses is of keen interest, and in 2019 Susan took on the challenge of driving the green chemistry micro business, Starbons Ltd, forwards to commercial success, where she is now CEO.